1. Place a cardboard tube on the rug. (This is optional.)
2. Roll the rug with the pile side facing into the center.
3. Tie the rug with twine at both ends.
4. Measure the outer wrap to fit the rug.
5. In this case, a heavy plastic sleeve will cover the rug.
6. Gather together the end of the plastic sleeve.
7. Tighten a zip tie around the end or use packing tape.
8. The finished package is ready for storage.
The package pictured above was created to store a rug. When preparing a rug for shipment, either wrap the rug in heavy brown paper first and then in plastic or in two layers of plastic. The exterior layer should be waterproof.
Pictured at left is the heavy brown "craft" paper that we use to wrap rugs for shipping. Below you can see the result of rough handling during shipment. The brown paper remained intact under the torn outer plastic wrap.