Policies / Shipping / Returns
Policies & Shipping
Rugs are sent to customers in the best possible condition. For antique and semi-antique rugs, some restorations may take place prior to shipment. Your satisfaction is our greatest concern. Rugs and pillows are shipped for free. A high quality non-skid, felt and rubber pad is recommended for use under all rugs.
While looking at rugs, you may observe that folding has created the appearance of creases or shadows - these are temporary and will be removed prior to shipment. Some rugs are photographed partially due to their large size. All rugs are complete, unless otherwise noted.
- Free shipping anywhere in the continental United States for rug purchases.
- Free return shipping anywhere in the continental United States for rug cleaning and restoration over $1000.00.
- If you are placing an order for shipment outside the Continental US, a separate invoice will be generated for shipping surcharges. Surcharges will be greater for larger, heavier rugs than for smaller, lighter ones. You will have the option to accept the surcharges and complete your order, or we will issue a full refund to your original method of payment. If you prefer to receive a shipping quote before placing your order, please contact us with the numbers of the items that you wish to purchase.
- Shipping for international purchases will be quoted on a per case basis.
- If an older rug is purchased and requires restoration prior to shipment, we will do this at no extra charge. Restorations may include cleaning, blocking, and minor repairs, which are always of the highest quality. Restoration delays shipping, but it also puts your rug in the best condition possible. We respectfully request your patience during this time.
- Most items should be received by the customer in 7-10 days. (As noted with the product information, some items will take an additional 7-10 days.) You will be informed of any delays in shipping that are within our control.
- In most cases, we will ship UPS ground service with signature required. All shipments will be adequately insured.
- If any rug we ship is received by the customer with damages, we must be contacted within 48 hours of delivery. Immediate notification is required, so that we may take action with the shipping company
Pick Up and Delivery
For cleaning and restoration requests, we will pick up and deliver within 150 miles of Highland Park, IL; however, there will be a charge for any trip in excess of 30 miles.
All handmade rugs have some variations: these variations are considered to be indicators of beauty and character. Whenever possible, we have noted areas of wear or repairs that have been made to the semi-antique and antique rugs on our site. Rugs are thoroughly inspected before we bring them into inventory and are again inspected before being sent to our customers. We want you to be highly pleased by the quality and condition of the rugs that you have purchased from us. New rugs are warranted against defects in their construction for up to 1 year from the date of purchase.
Contact us prior to making any return.
Telephone: (847) 432-8100
E-mail: Please use the contact form on our website
Rugs may be returned for a refund less shipping charges within 14 days of receiving them. In order to receive a refund, rugs must be returned to us in the same condition that we sent them to you. When returning a rug for a refund, we will send you a prepaid shipping label and packaging. Once we have received and checked returned items, we will issue a refund in the same method as payment was received less shipping and insurance.
Return shipping for rugs sent to Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico will incur a surcharge beyond the standard domestic shipping rate.
When packaging your rug for return, please include a copy of your invoice along with an explanation for the return.
Contact us prior to making any exchange:
Telephone (847) 432-8100
E-mail: Please use the contact form on our website
You have up to 30 days from the date that your rug is received to decide if you would like to keep it or exchange it for another rug from our stock. In order to exchange a rug, the rug must be returned to us in the same condition that we sent it to you. When you wish to return a rug for an exchange, we will send you a prepaid shipping label and packaging. When packaging your rug for exchange, include a copy of your invoice along with an explanation for the exchange. There will be no fee for the first exchange on any rug order. Fees for subsequent exchanges will be charged in accordance with the shipping rates for rug returns.
Packaging for Shipping
When sending a rug to us, we suggest the following packaging:
Rugs up to 8' x 10' may be rolled and wrapped in brown paper before being wrapped in plastic. If you don't have brown paper, two layers of plastic will suffice. Plastic must be a heavy weight. If you need paper or plastic for wrapping, we can send it to you. The outer wrap should be securely fastened with packing tape or plastic zip ties.
Here are photos showing the packaging of a rug up to 8' x 10'. (Use of a cardboard tube is not required.)
Rugs larger than 8' x 10' should be folded along their length and then rolled prior to wrapping. Hand-knotted rugs should be folded with the pile facing out. This may protect the foundation if the rug is old, dry, or very dirty. Once the rug is folded with the back sides together and the pile facing out, roll and wrap the rug as described in the previous paragraph. When tying the rug, we recommend using strips of fabric rather than twine or rope in order to avoid crushing the pile.
Here are photos showing how to fold and roll a rug larger than 8' x 10'.
When determining the weight of your package for shipping, please take into consideration that rugs weigh a half pound to three-quarters of a pound per square foot. For example, an 8' x 10' rug (which is 80 square feet) will weigh between 40 pounds and 60 pounds. A thinner rug will weigh closer to a half pound per square foot, while a thicker rug may weigh closer to three-quarters of a pound per square foot.
Written appraisals appropriate for insurance purposes may only be provided when we are able to physically inspect the customer’s rugs. An appraisal is based on factors like the age of the rug, the overall condition of the rug, and the appearance of the rug. The charge for a written appraisal done in-store is $50.00 for the first rug and $25.00 for each additional rug. The charge for a written appraisal done in-home is $125.00 for the first rug and $25.00 for each additional rug.
On an individual basis, we will assess rugs for their trade-in eligibility. If your rug has the potential to be resold in our store, we will quote you a value for the rug. This value may be applied towards the purchase of another rug from our inventory. In order to assess a rug that a customer wishes to trade in, we must be able to inspect it in our store.
Requests and Estimates for Services
If you would like to request an appraisal, rug cleaning, or other restoration services, please complete the form on our Customer Service page. Prices for most of the maintenance and restoration services that we perform can be found in the Rug Restoration section of this website. Estimates for certain kinds of restoration, such as reweaving or reinforcing a rug’s foundation, may only be provided once the rug has been inspected. All restoration work requested through our website must be approved in writing and a 50% deposit may be required in order to begin the work. We respectfully request that the balance of all restoration work is paid for within two weeks of completion; we must receive payment in full before your rugs will be returned.
Rugs remaining in our store longer than 30 days after restoration has been completed will be subject to storage fees equaling $1.00 per day. If at any time, using a rolling 90 day time period, a rug is in our possession without contact or payment from its owner, we reserve the right to deem the rug unclaimed and forfeit.
If you would like us to appraise, clean, or restore your rug, please complete our on-line request form and wait for a reply prior to sending us your rugs. You will be responsible for shipping the items to us by a trackable means with adequate insurance.
Errors on this Site
We will always strive to provide accurate information on this site, however, mistakes may occur. While we will do our best to make sure our on-line catalog is error-free, we reserve the right not to complete a sale, if any price has been incorrectly entered into the database. The customer is free to purchase the item at the corrected price.
Terms and Conditions
- We reserve the right to photograph, document, and/or publish the items that we clean, repair, and/or restore.
- Liability is limited solely to cleaning and restoring and does not include liability for incidental, consequential damages of any kind whatsoever.
- Goods left 30 days are subject to storage charges. Not responsible for goods left on premises after 90 days.
- In the event legal action is necessary to enforce a contract, the customer will pay reasonable attorney fees and court costs.
- This agreement is executed in Highland Park, IL and shall be interpreted under the laws of the state of Illinois. Customer agrees to be bound by these laws and agrees to submit to the jurisdiction of the court of the state of Illinois and to venue in the county of Lake.